Skip to main content

Quilt-as-u-go Stargazer tote



by Linda Theil

Since the "summer tote" I made using the June Tailor Quilt As You Go preprinted batting turned out to be one of my favorite totes; I thought it would be fun to make a quilt-as-you-go tote with pockets on the outside. I love the CAPSULES "Stargazer" fabric line from Art Gallery Fabrics Studio, and had in my stash a fat-quarter bundle along with a yard each of two of my favorite prints from that collection. For the quilt backing/tote lining, I used a multicolored print from Contempo's "Daily Zen" line from Benartex.

The June Tailor preprinted batting for various totes, placemats, bibs, and mug rugs is available at fabric stores and online. Several videos of the quilt-as-you-go technique are available on YouTube, and more tips and techniques are available in the weblog post for my original tote at "Summer tote using preprinted batting" . I learned how to make the quilt-as-you-go pocket from a YouTube tutorial for "June Taylor Shopper Totes" posted by Shabby Fabrics.

This quilt-as-u-go technique uses a preprinted batting showing the placement and order in which each patchwork piece is added. Since my batting wasn't printed, I drew my quilt-as-u-go plan on a 20x34-inch piece of batting, using a ruler and soft-lead pencil. My favorite pencil for this job is a Mitsubishi 4B. Here is the drawing I made showing the placement of the patchwork pieces and the order in which they are sewn. Each blue square on the paper represents one inch:


To make this design for a pocketed tote, you will need the following materials:
  • quilt backing/tote lining 34x22 inches
  • batting 32x20 inches
  • patchwork -- six pieces 2.5x32, five pieces 2.5x8.5
  • pockets -- two each: 11.25x8.5-inches for pocket back, 17x8.5-inches folded to 8.5 inches square, and 8.5-inch square interfacing inside folded square for pocket front
  • straps -- two each: 2.5x33-inches fabric, 1.5x29-inches batting, 2.0x33-inches contrast fabric, 1x29-inch webbing
Draw your layout on your batting. Spray glue batting to wrong side of quilt backing/tote lining.
Stitch around outside of tote pattern; this will give you a cutting line to trim around when quilting is done.

Assemble pocket
Each piece of fabric is added individually except for the pocket assembly, which is added all in one piece. To assemble the pocket, fold the 17x8.5-inch piece in half and put a the 8.5-inch square of iron-on interfacing between the two layers of fabric and iron in place. Repeat for both pocket pieces.
Then put the 8.5-inch square pocket tops on the right side of the 11.25x8.5-inch pocket back, with sides and bottom raw edges even. The pocket-top fold will be about three inches from the top of the pocket back. Pin to secure, or baste layers together.
Assemble straps
  • Center batting on wrong side of fabric, fold raw edges toward middle of batting and iron in place. Fold up one-half-inch at each end and press.
  • Center webbing on wrong side of contrast fabric, fold raw edges toward middle of webbing and iron in place. Fold up one-half-inch at each end and press.
  • Center contrast strip with webbing, right side up, over fabric strip with batting to cover raw edges of fabric strip, and stitch in place along both edges of the contrast strip with webbing. (Strap below shown before stitching.)
  • Set aside to attach later. 
Quilt-as-u-go
Lay fabric piece #1 right-side-up in position designated for piece #1 on batting. Lay piece #2 right-side-down on top of piece #1 along edge adjacent to position of piece #2. Stitch down using one-quarter-inch seam allowance. (Piece #1 is shown slightly larger than is correct in photos below.)

 Flip piece #2 over area designated for piece #2 and finger press seam.
Place piece #3 right-side down along the other raw edge of piece #1 and stitch. Flip #3 to right side and finger press seam.
Place #4 right-side-down along raw edge of #2 and stitch.
Flip #4 to right side and finger press seam.
Place #5 right-side-down along raw edge of #3 and stitch.
Flip #5 to right side and finger press seam.
Place raw edges of pocket assembly #6 right-side-down down aligned with raw edge of #4. Stitch and flip entire assembly right-side-up and finger press seam.
Repeat for pocket assembly #7 aligned with #5.
Add pieces #8 and #9 in same fashion as pieces #1-7.
Flip #8 and #9, and finger press seams.
Add #10 and #11
Flip #10 and #11 and finger press seams.

Add #12 and #13.
Flip #12 and #13 and finger press seams.
Trim and cut notches out of sides.
Fold in half, with wrong-sides-together. Stitch sides of tote, using 3/8-inch seam allowance.
Please see "Summer Tote . . ." for finishing instructions as follows:
Turn to right-sides-together, stitch sides with 1/2-inch seam allowance.
With right-sides-together, open cut-outs and stitch. 
Turn tote right-side-out.
Bind top of tote.
Attach handles as shown in "Summer Tote . . ."
I think I'll make a matching clutch for inside of this bag. Stay tuned!


Update: May 6, 2020
Here are the two little pouches I made to use with my Stargazer tote. One is big enough for my small MacBook, the little one is for pencils, etc.

  

Resources
https://www.youtube.com/watchv=a_139dLVsnM "June Taylor shopper totes video from Shabby Fabrics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac