Skip to main content

Cozy tumpta pillows

 by Linda Theil



When I saw the "Timber Gnomies" flannel panel by Shelly Comiskey for Henry Glass & Company, I thought the panel would make cute, soft and cozy pillow cases. The gnomies resemble a beloved Swedish tumpta figure that I bought on sale at HomeGoods last year.

I made some pillowcases for presents last year and posted a how-to, "Burrito-style holiday pillowcases", on this blog that you can use to make pillowcases out of the "Timber Gnomies" panel, too, with the following additional information.

The "Timber Gnomies" panel measures 24-inches wide by 40-inches long, but I needed a piece 27 x 40-inches to make a standard-sized pillow case, so I sewed a 5 x 40-inch piece of coordinating fabric from the collection to the right side of the "Timber Gnomies" panel. Four inches would have been fine, but I like to give myself some leeway in my seaming, plus I figured I could trim the length later if it was too long -- better too long, than not long enough! After stitching, I topstitched that seam to give it a little bit of a finish inside the pillowcase.

Extra strip of coordinating fabric added to right side of panel
 to make proper width for standard pillowcase.

Detail: topstitching

I used the same coordinating fabric to make the cuff for the pillowcase with a piece cut 10-inches wide by the width of the fabric -- approximately 40-inches. I also cut a 2.5-inch piece of solid red fabric to make the narrow decorative band on the cuff -- measurements according to the original "burrito" directions.

Once you have attached the cuff using the "burrito" method described in my previous post, follow the directions to create a French seam on the side of the pillowcase. At that point, instead of French seaming the bottom of the pillowcase with the seam you just made on the side, you must center the side-seam down the back, and make the bottom French seam with the pillowcase folded so that the gnomes are centered on the front of the pillowcase.

Back of "Timber Gnomies" pillowcase before bottom French seam is sewn

Front of finished "Timber Gnomies" standard-sized pillowcase


UPDATE: April 13, 2021

I just made another set of pillowcases from printed panels that were constructed in the same way the tumpta cases above were constructed by making the side seam down the center of the back of the pillow, as described in this blog post above. 

This time I used a panel from the "National Parks: Second Installment" collection by Anderson Design Group for Riley Blake designs, published in 2019. I used the "Grand Canyon" and "Bryce Canyon" panels for the pillowcase set. Since these panels measure 36 x 42-inches, I was able to make a king-sized pillowcase from each panel. 

Front of king-sized pillowcase made from Grand Canyon panel of "National Parks: Second Installment" collection by Anderson Design Group for Riley Blake designs. 

Back of king-sized pillowcase made from Grand Canyon panel of "National Parks: Second Installment" collection by Anderson Design Group for Riley Blake designs. Note center seam, necessary to use the panel as printed.

I cut a 10-inch wide by width of fabric piece of orange cotton to use as the cuff for each pillowcase, and I cut a 2-inch piece from the 42-inch width of each panel to make a trim piece for the cuff. Press the 2 x 42-inch piece in half lengthwise to create a 1 x 42-inch trim. The cuff and trim will be attached to the 42-inch width on the side that you have cut the 2-inch piece from. 

If you wish your set of pillowcases to display with cuffs on outside edges as appearing on the bed display, you must cut the 2-inch trim piece, and apply the cuffs on opposite edges of your panels when oriented properly for viewing.

Follow the directions to make a burrito-style pillowcase using the directions for make a pillowcase from a panel with a seam down the center of the back of the pillowcase described above, and generally in the "Burrito-style holiday pillowcases" post on this weblog.

Comments

Cathy said…
Too cute and once again so creative. You are so talented!
Cathy said…
Too cute! You did a wonderful job!

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju