Skip to main content

Scrappy log cabin blocks

by Linda Theil

Scrappy Log Cabin quilt block by Linda Theil 

Next month the Greater Ann Arbor Quilt Guild will host a virtual quilt-along to make quilts for the SafeHouse Center womens' shelter in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

One of the suggested blocks to make at the event is a Scrappy Log Cabin suggested by GAAQG member and artist Mary Bajcz. I love the Log Cabin block design and decided to get a head start on next month's event by organizing my materials and develping a process for making my Scrappy Log Cabin blocks. I began by watching Mary's YouTube video: "Scrap Quilt Strategy: The Log Cabin Technique", and many others available on the topic. What a variety of approaches! 

 I'm not much of an improvisor and this is the first time I've tried the scrappy approach to quilt making. So It was quite an adventure for me.

I pulled out my scrap bin and began sorting for lights and darks. After looking at many videos, I decided to work with a central square of 2.5-inches, and to add enough strips to make a finished block of ten-inches square. I looked for pieces of fabric that were already 2.5-inches wide, or for pieces that could be cut into 2.5-inch strips. I found a bright red to use for my central squares as a unifying factor throughout the quilt top. 

As I sorted I soon identified many pieces of reds, blues, and lights so I decided to pull those colors for my log-cabin kit. Once I had my color choices, I cut all the scraps into 2.5-inch-wide strips. Cut your strips as long as you can, but make sure that you have plenty that are at least a foot long, because that is the longest piece you will need for this 10-inch-square block. I cut all the red fabric into 48 2.5-inch squares -- enought to make a finished quilt of 60 x 80-inches with no borders. I put the red squares into a baggie so they would not get lost. I also cut a couple blue squares just to see how a blue centered block would go together.

I rolled my strips into color separated bundles and put the red squares and rolled strips into a small plastic storage bin to use as my Scrappy Log Cabin Quilt Kit.

Depleted Scrappy Log Cabin Quilt Block Kit bin after making 24 scrappy blocks

Although Mary Bajcz uses pieces of various widths and sizes, I decided to use a standard width and also use the classic Log Cabin Block technique of piecing lights on one side of the center and darks on the other side. I made a single block to see how it all worked together and loved it so much I got hooked. I only got 24 made before I had to invade my stash for more dark fabrics since I used up a lot of my longer pieces early. That was fun, too -- adding more guests to my party.

Scrappy Log Cabin kit in process of making blocks

Scrappy Log Cabin quilt block process
For each 10-inch block you will need:
One 2.5-inch square
Eight 2.5-inch-wide fabric scraps varying in length, aproximately 60-inches of strips, trimmed to length after stitching). (In the wonkier version, you just stitch strips to strips and cut the block to size when you are done.)
  • one 2.5-inch long
  • two 5-inches long
  • two 7.5-inches long
  • two 10-inches long
  • one 12.5-inches long
Add strips one at a time in the order shown below. Start with a center square (#1). I added two medium lights (#2 and #3), two medium darks (#4 and #5), then two lights (#6 and #7), then two darks (#8 and #9). I added each "log" from a long 2.5-inch-wide strip, and cut the strip to size after sewing each seam.








Here are some of my earliest blocks thrown up on the design wall as they were completed.

As I moved through the process, I began to use the same fabric for both same-color legs (two and three, four and five, six and seven, eight and nine) as seen below.




I couldn't resist trying out this block in a different color-combo that had crept into my kit.


Working with scraps is a whole lot of fun, even if I regimented my options -- lol. I'll post a picture of the quilt when it's finished!

Update December 18, 2021

Here is my scrappy log-cabin quilt, backed with ivory flannel and quilted by Laura Jarvis of KootsiQuilting in Stockbridge, Michigan. Jarvis, a brilliant long-arm quilter, and member of the GAAQG, quilts SafeHouse Center donations at a much reduced fee, as her gift of love.

Here is my scrappy log-cabin quilt, trimmed and ready for labeling and binding.

Resources

GAAQG SafeHouse Center quilt program,
https://www.gaaqg.com/about/safehouse/

"Scrap Quilt Strategy: The Log Cabin Technique" by Mary Bajcz,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ldr-c1fGHc

KootsiQuilting by Laura Jarvis in Stockbridge, Michigan
https://www.kootsiquilting.com/

Comments

MaryBajcz said…
I'm glad you numbered the sewing sequence as I got that mixed up in my video. šŸ˜‰

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju