Skip to main content

Project organizer bag

 by Linda Theil


This is a 21x18-inch project-organizer bag with:

  • #5 double-headed, zippered opening;
  • #5 double-headed, zippered, and interlined front pocket;
  • quilted back;
  • see-through, vinyl window;
  • and bound edges.


The fabrics for this bag are a selection from the 2020 "Winter Flower Show" collection by Liberty Fabric for Liberty Fabric.

The bag was inspired by a Missouri Star Quilt Co. video titled "Create a vinyl zipper pouch with Misty"  available on YouTube. Follow Missouri Star Quilt Co. video (linked here and below) to make bag; to make my changes see information that follows.

I made changes to the bag by increasing the size of the bag to 21 x 18-inches using a fat quarter of fabric, and adding a zippered pocket to the front of the bag. I also used a traditional zipper insertion to the top of the bag instead of the pre-flanged zipper used in the video.


Materials needed:
  • two pieces coordinating fabric 21 x 18-inches
  • one piece of batting 20.5 x 17.5-inches 
Sandwich batting between fabric pieces, and quilt for back of bag, and set aside.
  • one piece of coordinating fabric 21 x 18-inches
  • lightweight, iron-on interlining 20.5 x 17.5-inches
Iron interlining to wrong side of fabric for front pocket.
  • two 22-inch #5 zippers with double zipper pulls; one for front pocket, and one for top of bag
  • two pieces coordinating fabric 21 x 4.5-inches for zipper insertion at top of bag -- folded in half and pressed with steam-iron
  • transparent, medium-weight vinyl plastic 21 x 10-inches for transparent window front of bag. I cut this larger, and adjusted the size before final insertion.
  • 2-2.5 yards of prepared binding. I use 2.5-inch strips folded twice for my binding and sew one layer to the back, fold over to the front at the center pressed line, and topstitch the folded-under second half of the binding to the front of the project. You will need two yards if you use the top of the zipper flange to bind the top of the bag; you will need an extra half-yard if you bind the bag all around.
For zipper insertion on top of the bag, I sewed the folded edge to the top half of the #5 zipper, topstitched, and left loose edges free to adjust size of bag-front if needed; I use extra length to bind the top of the bag; or you can trim even with back and bind all around with binding strips, instead, if you prefer.

For the bottom of the bag zipper, I sewed the loose edges to the zipper, topstitched, and folded the fold of the fabric into an "M" shape, forming a channel where I could sandwich the top of the vinyl panel and then topstitched the vinyl in place.


Here is how I added the zippered pocket:

  • I applied iron-on, lightweight interfacing to the wrong side of a 21 x18-inch fat quarter of fabric.
  • I applied a 22-inch, #5 zipper with two zipper pulls to the 21-inch width of the fabric with one side of the zipper tape on each of the raw edges of the fabric, creating a tube of fabric when the zipper was closed. 
  • With the zipper unzipped, I topstitched each side of the zipper.
  • I zipped the zipper, and folded the interlined, fabric tube in half with the zipper placed about three inches from the top of the tube.
  • I pressed the tube with an iron and then cut the top of the tube along the pressed crease at the top.
  • Then I folded each raw edge, wrong-sides-together, about 1/2-inch from the cut edges, and pressed with iron.
  • I inserted the vinyl between the two folded edges and topstitched the vinyl window in place above the pocket zipper.

Put the completed bag-front face-up on the quilted bag back, and trim the edges all around.

Apply binding and topstitch the binding on the front of bag. Add grosgrain ribbon zipper pulls to all the zippers.


Resources:

Missouri Star Quilt Co. video "Create a vinyl zipper pouch with Misty"  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju