Skip to main content

Ribbon trimmed bag

On the way home from seeing Teddy Tahu Rhodes as Mozart's count at Cinty Opera, we stopped at Jungle Jim's where I saw a cute purse made out of silk and satin crazy quilting with a lovely fringe of looped ribbons set inside the bottom seam. I thought I'd like to give it a try but -- as seen in the photo above -- it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.


Materials:
I made two 10 x 12-inch pieces of random patchwork triangle squares from four-inch charm squares. I used of Moda's "Fresh Squeezed" cotton print fabric designed by Sandy Gervais. (Round the bottom corners of the fabric,  and cut both pieces into identical bag shapes that you desire.) Cut two pieces of matching or contrasting lining fabric the same size and shape as the patchwork pieces. For the ribbon trim, purchase a box of four to six yard-long, mixed-color, fabric ribbon to match or contrast with your fabric. I bought mine in the scrapbooking section of a craft store, Hobby Lobby, to use for the ribbon trim. (Or buy lengths of ribbon you like. Mix grosgrain with silk, satin and chiffon.)You'll also need thread to match and a 12-16-inch cord for the handle.


Proceedure:
1. Make 3-inch loops of ribbon in various colors and lay them along the bottom of one of the patchwork pieces on the right side of the fabric with the free ends of the loops parallel with the edge.
2. Pin and stitch over all the ribbons. Repeat with another layer of ribbon until you have the effect you desire.


3. Take your other patchwork piece, lay it right-side-down on top of the ribbons, matching edges and seam around three sides, leaving top open. Turn and press. Fold top down 1/2-inch and press and/or baste.
4. With right sides together stitch sides and bottom of purse lining. Press, but do not turn. Fold top down 1/2-inch and press and/or baste.
 5. Pin ends of cord between bag and lining at side seams. pin or tack in place. Fit lining inside bag, matching seams on side. 
6. Stitch around top of bag to secure handle and lining to bag.


I think it's a nice idea, but I made my loops too long and wasn't careful about how they lay at the end of the bag. It's probably worth trying again. 


Moda has lots of nice free patterns here. I particularly like the All You Need bag. They also have a really cool blog called Moda Bake Shop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju