Skip to main content

GAAQG quilt day January 17, 2015

The Greater Ann Arbor Quilt Guild had their first bi-monthly meeting of 2015 on Saturday, January 17.

Before the meeting, I purchased a pretty panel of 12 bird-drawings from the featured vendor, Creative Quilt Kits, of Brighton, Michigan. The panel was designed by Tracy Lizotte for Elizabeth's Studio. 








That vendor, Creative Quilt Kits, is hosting a bus trip to the International Quilt Festival Chicago 2015 at the Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, IL on March 26, 2015. The cost is $67.50 and includes the bus fare, admission and program. The bus departs the shop at 10489 Grand River, Brighton, MI 48116 at 6:30 a.m. The reservations deadline is February 24.
Call 810-225-2849 or email contact@creativequiltkits.com for information.

I also picked up a flier for the Spinner's Flock Fleece Fair to be held Feb. 21 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Beach Middle School, 445 Mayer Drive in Chelsea Michigan. The sale will feature Michigan wool, handspun yarn, raw fleeces, roving, exotic fibers, quilt batts, equipment, demos, gifts, rugs, garments and more.

KSW Quilters is hosting a bus trip to New York City June 11, 12, and 13, 2015 at a cost of $225 round trip not including hotel reservations at the Meadowlands River Inn in Secaucus, NJ. For more information email msquilt@att.net or call Wanda Nash at 734-953-9650.

A guild sponsored presentation on the topic of color provided information on color palette generators at Big Huge Labs and Paletton

Guild members displayed and donated forty-one handmade quilts to Safe House Center in Ann Arbor, where clients of the domestic violence shelter are given a gift quilt upon arrival.

The meeting ended as always with members' inspiring show-and-tell; I was drawn to Marilyn Knepp's baby-carseat quilt with velcro ties. Knepp said she got the idea from a Moda Bake Shop how-to titled "Sophie Car Seat Quilt" by Jennie Pickett. Knepp modified the method of attaching the quilt to a car seat (or stroller) by replacing the string ties on the original pattern with removable hook-and-loop bands on her quilt. Knepp also created a piecing pattern of her own design called "Around the Block" for her quilt. She has made many of these car-seat quilts for friends and family.


GAAQG member Marilyn Knepp's "Around the Block" car seat quilt.
Note removable hook-and-loop ties used to attach quilt to car seat or stroller. 

I was also intrigued by a cute quilt covered with peeps that the presenting guild member called "chubby chicks". I discovered that the "Chubby Chicks" pattern can be downloaded from Black Mountain Needleworks for $10. 



The next GAAQG meeting will be held at 9 a.m. March 21, 2015 at the Morris Lawrence Building on Washtenaw Community College campus at 4800 E. Huron River Drive, Ypsilanti, MI. Visitors are welcome. There is a $10 visitor fee; workshops are open to members and visitors. Get more information at http://gaaqg.com/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju