Skip to main content

Buffalo-chex patchwork


Trompe l'oeil buffalo-chex patchwork

This buffalo-chex pattern in black, teal-blue, and gray is created by using a cross-weave printed fabric along with black and a coordinating color. I learned how to do this on Shay Henderson's Empty Bobbin Sewing School weblog post titled "Buffalo Check Quilt Pattern". (Note: this post is no longer at the original link, but the free pattern is available online. I love this, and think it's like magic to watch the fabrics transform into the buffalo-chex pattern.

The secret is in using a "weave" printed fabric as the foundation of your design. The teal-blue "weave" print pictured below makes the "gray" blocks in the teal colored, buffalo-chex, patchwork I demonstrate here.

 Moda Rustic Weave -- teal color, purchased from Missouri Star Quilt Co.

This "Rustic Weave" fabric looks like it is course woven, but it is actually printed to look like a woven fabric of a teal color with a black background. Other blended fabrics of this type include: "Essex linens", "chambrays" and "cross weaves". The Moda "Rustic Weave" collection features a variety of options; so you can make your buffalo-check patchwork in whatever color you like. 


Selection of Rustic Weave by Moda available in a variety of colors.

Your blend fabric must have this black "woven" feature in order for the trompe l'oeil buffalo-chex effect to work.

I chose the Moda Rustic Weave teal shade shown above because I thought it was bright and pretty and would make a nice contrast with the black of the traditional check pattern.

Henderson's directions called for a basic six-inch square but I cut five-inch blocks using my five-inch wide ruler, just to make cutting easier. I followed her method of using strip-sets to create the patchwork in a quick and simple fashion.

To make a 38-inch square of buffalo check, you will need:

  • eight, five-inch cuts or 1-1/4 yard of the "weave" fabric in the color of your choice plus
  • four, five-inch cuts or 5/8-yard of black such as the Bella Solid black shown below,
  • and four, five-inch cuts or 5/8-yard of the bright color that matches your choice of "weave" fabric: i.e. red to match the red-weave, blue for blue, yellow for yellow, etc. This color should be bright and true with no dusty or gray undertones such as the bright teal shown below.

Bella Solids black by Moda purchased from Missouri Star Quilt Co.
Bright teal color cotton yardage
To begin:
Cut 5-inch wide strips across the width of each cut of fabric to make:

  • eight 5-inch wide by 43- to 45-inch long "weave" strips,
  • four 5-inch wide by 43- to 45-inch long black strips,
  • and four 5-inch wide by 43- to 45-inch long color strips.
Trim selvages and make strip sets using 1/4-inch seams as follows:


Sew two strips of black to two strips of "weave" alternating: black, weave, black, weave. Repeat to make second strip-set of black/weave.

Sew two strips of "weave" to two strips of color alternating: color, weave, color, weave. Repeat to make second strip-set.

Cut 5-inch strips across all strip-sets of fabrics.

Stitch two matching strips together end-on-end, to make four 40-inch long strips alternating black/weave, and four 40-inch long strip alternating color/weave.

Lay out strips horizontally, alternating black/weave strips with color/weave strips as shown in photo above. Stitch rows together.

Layout of buffalo chex with five rows completed. See top photo for image of all eight rows completed.

Add sets and rows as desired to create patchwork of your desired size. Add borders, as you choose.

A downloadable PDF of Shay Henderson's "Buffalo Check Quilt" is available online. 



UPDATE Aug. 16, 2016: 46 x 66-inch lap quilt made with two sets of strips as described above. I used the second set of strips to add five rows and one column (two strips) to my original set of strips -- leaving one un-used strip. I sewed on a border of 2.5-inch strips of black, and I plan to add another border in a split complementary color -- maybe lime green. I will probably bind the quilt in the clear turquoise fabric used in the quilt. 



UPDATE: Oct. 8, 2016
Added three-inch chartreuse border and binding made of leftover cuts from leftover quilt fabric. Machine quilted on seamlines with my vanilla Janome using walking foot, teflon machine mat, and quilting gloves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac