Skip to main content

Folded-patchwork coasters


This is a very good scrap project courtesy of my sister-in-law, Susan!

1. Cut 4.5-inch square of solid color cotton.

2. Cut 4.5-inch square of thin cotton batt, or old tea-towels or other absorbent fabric.

3. Cut one 4.5-inch square of each of four different cotton prints.

4. Fold each print square in half – wrong sides together -- and press. Set aside.


5. Stitch solid square and batt together – stacked wrong sides together -- with stitching centered vertically and horizontally on the fabric.

6. Stack with batting on the bottom and layer the folded squares on top of the solid square that is already stitched to the batting, as shown below.


7. Layer first folded print with fold running vertically down the center of the solid square/batt and raw edges lined up along the right side of the square. Pin in place.


8. Layer second folded print with fold running horizontally across the center of the solid square/batt and raw edges lined up along the bottom of the square. Pin in place.

9. Layer third folded print with fold running vertically down the center of the solid square/batt and raw edges lined up along the left side of the square. Pin in place.
10. Layer fourth folded print with fold running horizontally across the center of the solid square/batt and raw edges lined up along the top of the square. Lift the top of the first print and tuck the right side of the fourth print under the flap. Pin in place. (See finished appearance of pinned layers in photo below.)

11. Stitch 1/4 –inch seams around all four sides of the fabric stack.


12. Trim each corner diagonally.


13. Turn through the open center of the folded fabrics.




14. Use pointed object to push out corners.


15. Press flat.

You can make a set of four matching coasters with four print cottons, one solid cotton and one batt piece each 4.5 X 18 inches, or 9 X 9 inches square.

My friend, Janet, used this idea to make a hotpad, as well. Janet said: "I thought you'd like to know that I used the coaster pattern, enlarged it to an eight-inch square and made my sister a hotpad for her birthday. I think it turned out quite nice. I added an extra layer of batting between the two bottom layers which I stitched to the inside one so it wouldn't shift. Now that is a project of the length I like!"

Note 12/19/10:
We have recently seen these coasters made with one color of fabric and top-stitched (or decorative stitched) around the edge of the finished coaster. Alisa thought this stitching was a good idea to help make the coaster lay flat, so we wanted to mention it as an option for these coasters, too. Thanks for visiting Appleton Dance!
Note 01/19/12:
Today I have repaired an error in the directions that must have occurred when I entered the note above. The directions should be complete now that I have fixed the problem.

Comments

QuiltandPatch said…
Love these and have made some and put on my blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac