Skip to main content

Yes, Virginia!

I got this wonderful holiday message from my friend, Virginia in Iowa: 

Thank you for the Gorgeous felt Corsage!  I think it will Rejuvenate my Aura! - Which, by the way, desperately Needed rejuvenation.  I look forward to the opportunity to dress up and wear it.  You are Way too sweet!

And the Pepper Streak
* sounds Yummy.  I think I have fixed a similar dish - don't remember what we called it, but it was tasty. Thanks for the reminder.

Funny thing about crock-pots.  There was a chili cook-off at church toward the end of October. I was not going to take chili  - just corn sticks. But about noon, I decided to make a batch. My chili is nothing to brag about, but I felt obligated to participate. I made it on the stove, but transferred it to the crock-pot to take to church and to keep it hot through the evening. Went early to plug in the pot and get it good and hot again. There were no outlets at the serving table, so a neighbor took it into the kitchen to plug in.  We sat, chatted, waited for the hungry hoards.  Then the young woman in charge was getting things on the serving table. She carried in my crock-pot. The handle broke off.  Everything went flying - like a slow-motion train wreck. Fortunately it was in the kitchen, not on the fellowship hall carpet. A delay while I got the mop and cleaned it up; others wiped down the walls etc. A clever friend looked to see if it was fix-able. It wasn't. My corn sticks were very well received.

So Target has crock-pots for $14? Was that a special? Maybe I'll go see about a replacement. The dead one was over 20 years old. It deserved to go out with a Bang!

I was just watching Moonstruck while making little folded paper boxes - to put gold dollars in for stockings. I love making those boxes. I have the size exactly right for the gold dollars and have made a templet so I get the part of the picture that I want on top. So cool.

Kathleen has another craft show tomorrow for her
counting monsters and baby blankets. She is quite the 'Toy Maker' these days.





It has Warmed Up to about 20 degrees here. The snow we have will probably be around 'til April. The other morning I found Drifts in my computer room! The south door had blown open and I could not close it.  there was a 2 foot drift pushing the door open and there was ice and packed snow around the hinges. I was afraid at first that those hinges were sprung or whatever when I could not close the door, but I chipped away the ice and snow and was very relieved when the door actually Latched shut. Couldn't Sweep out the snow due to the drift. So I got the shop-vac to get it up. It was EVERYWHERE!!!

Simply being snowed-in has been a pleasant relief after that.

Thank you again for the purple flowers! I will wear them with Pride!!

Much love  to ALL
And Many Christmas Blessings!!!
v

* Pepper Steak recipe (adapted from a crock-pot recipe from Better Homes & Gardens): 
Get a hunk of round – about 1-1/2 pounds, or so – salt and pepper the meat and brown it in olive oil in the pot. Mix a pint of diced, stewed tomatoes with a six-ounce can of Contadina Italian style tomato paste, and a tablespoon or so of Worchestershire sauce. Dump that over the meat in the pot and add two cups of red, yellow, and green pepper strips. (You can buy these frozen in a bag if you want to be quick; I tried them and they were good.) I added a little water, maybe a quarter cup, then just simmered, covered for four or five hours or so. Pull the beef into chunks and serve over any kind of pasta with shaved Romano cheese. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but boy was it delicious. (P.S. I almost forgot -- add a big ol' chopped onion with the pepper strips.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju