Skip to main content

Merry makeover

Newly painted family room in Behr's Mojave Gold

I LOVE my new family room!

I had been using my family room as a working office for fifteen years and it was full of office equipment and files. After I retired, Alisa helped me get rid of a lot of the clutter and office equipment, but the room was still full of personal files, bills, junk, and one huge chaise longe. And lately, the chili pepper red walls had begun to wear on me.


So, on Thanksgiving Day when Ben said they were getting rid of a couch, I asked for it to use in my family room and I asked Alisa to help me paint. They both said yes, and the transformation of my family room began.

I took everything out of the room, and Sandy and Alisa and I painted with two coats of Behr's Primium Plus Ultra Interior Matte paint in the Mojave Gold color that weekend. We only needed one gallon. 

To try out colors, the sales lady at Home Depot suggested Sure Swatch tacky film that you paint and stick on the wall. They cost 99-cents each. I'd never seen these before and they worked like a charm. You can see a Sure Swatch in-use on the right in the pre-paint photo below.

I put the chair on the Livingston eCycle site, but nobody wanted it, so I called Alchin Disposal on Monday to haul it away. Alisa took a filebox of old files to shred as well as a SUV full of material to recycle. It took me two weeks to get all the remaining stuff sorted and stored, but it's all done now.

I put my much loved, but very old, very weary, 36-inch herbal wreath out on the porch and bought a fresh greens wreath at The Weed Lady on Fenton Road. It is glorious!


We took up the old rug and laid an oriental rug I bought years ago at Treasure Mart in Ann Arbor, and had cleaned and stored last year after using it on the front porch during the summer. I moved the leather chair and ottoman from the living room where no one ever sat on it, and Ben delivered my "new" couch. I bought a used slat-back chair for $28 at Trading Closets consignment shop in Brighton to replace a larger desk chair that no longer fit in the space.

I washed and repaired the drapes on the sliding glass doors. In a storage bin under the guest bed upstairs I found pillowcases and a duvet cover that match the drapes so I filled them with pillows and a duvet to keep cozy on the couch.

Fred Wark, the Olde England Chimney Sweep, came to inspect the fireplace and chimney, and Alisa bought me a 1500 watt Lasko ceramic tower heater on Amazon to keep the room warm when we don't have a fire in the fireplace.

To improve the lighting, I replaced the burnt-out bulb in one of the ceiling spotlights that I couldn't get out for years, and brought in an unused desk lamp from my workroom.

This weekend, Paul and I picked up a beautiful seven-foot Frasir Fir at Bordines in Brighton. My friend Carolyn gave me some tree lights to replace old ones that were damaged, and I finished decorating the tree yesterday.

I hung the drum from Steve's first tree in 1944 near the top. 


Related posts/holiday stories:
"We Cut the Tree"
"Star Wizard"

Resources:
Behr
http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/interior-paint-and-primer

Sure Swatch: the Color Decider
http://www.sureswatch.com/

Weed Lady
9225 Fenton Road
Grand Blanc, Michigan 4843
staff@theweedlady.com
http://www.theweedlady.com

The Treasure Mart
529 Detroit Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734 662 9887
info@treasuremart.com
http://www.treasuremart.com/

Olde England Chimney Sweep Service, Fred Lasko
810 231 1189
sweep@charter.net

Trading Closets
2120 Grand River Annex, Suite 600 Brighton, MI 48114
810 225 6130
http://www.tradingclosetsbrighton.com/

Bordines
6347 Grand River Ave., Brighton MI 48114
517 552 9300
http://www.bordines.com

Lasko 1500 watt ceramic tower heater
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-755320-Ceramic-Digital-Display/dp/B000TTV2QS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac