Skip to main content

Another Boy Baby Quilt

Alisa wrote:

As I was finishing up the baby quilt I made in January 2020 I found out that a good friend was becoming a first-time Grandma to a little boy.  It seemed like a no-brainer to use the same fabric collection to make another tiny quilt as a gift.
I used a leftover charm pack, Delfina Single Scoops by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts for Andover Fabric and ordered up yardage of Confetti Blue Moon, Spots Navy and Ladybug Ivory from the same collection to have on hand for the borders, backing and binding.

I didn't really have a plan in mind for the quilt, so I started by dividing the charm pack into color groups - light blue, medium blue, dark blue, tan and cream and made a bunch of half-square triangles using the lightest color as the constant in all of the blocks.
Once I had 64 of these blocks I started trying out different designs on my design board.  I tortured both quilter and non-quilter friends with requests for feedback.  Decisions were always split.  Looking back I quite like some of these...


I  decided on flying-geese blocks and turned my attention to arranging and sewing the top together.
For this baby quilt, I decided to make it a bit bigger than the last one (a teeny 34" square) by adding a border in the Spots Navy fabric.  I cut the top and bottom at 4.5-inches wide and the sides at 2.5-inches to get my square top into a more useful rectangle shape.
I had decided to back and bind the quilt in the Ladybug Ivory, but neglected to read the packing slip and realized too late that I only had a single yard so instead I continued the navy border fabric onto the back.  I purchased a crib-size batt of Fairfield Quilter's 80/20 and used the COVID-19 curbside service at Jo-Ann Fabrics to pick it up.

Once I had the sandwich pin-basted, I started thinking about how to quilt the project.  I pulled out my new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil and got busy using the Edit-Markup feature in the Photos app to draw out quilting options. I congratulated myself on finding a critical new use for the new tech, until I realized you can do the exact same thing on your iPhone with your finger.  Either way, try it!

I decided on an all-over diamond pattern and had the quilting done in less than an hour.  Then I turned my attention to prepping binding and making a storage bag for the quilt from my favorite tutorial by Sew Very Easy.

My Mom volunteered to sew on the binding -- probably because I complain endlessly about it!
I love how the finished quilt turned out. And, I even got it in the mail before the baby arrived.



Update: She liked it!



Comments

Katie McGrath said…
This is wonderful! I love seeing how many different patterns you can make with half-square triangles. Great job Alisa! Katie McGrath

Popular posts from this blog

Notes on Purl Soho Cross-back Apron pattern

Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,  front view Purl Soho Cross-back Apron, regular sized,   back view by Linda Theil This is the Purl Soho Cross-back Apron featured on their website at  https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2015/11/20/cross-back-apron . Their page includes complete directions for making this one-size-fits-most apron with large, side-pockets and cross-back straps. This retro apron is so nicely made and looks so much like the apron my grandma wore in the Nineteen-fifties that I had to make one for my friend who appreciates the nostalgia and the beauty of this design. Although this apron pattern, as published, can adjust to several sizes from 2-10; I also made a larger option, adjusting the width of the pattern pieces to accommodate up to size 16 and up. Size adjustment may also be made by varying the length of the straps. These notes are a record of my experience with the pattern, and should only be viewed as commentary; y

Holiday weekender

  by Linda Theil Alisa's always cleaning house and often asking me if I want some item I'd given her before she sent it to a new home. I couldn't refuse the holiday-print, round table cloth I had bordered in red pom-poms forty years ago, even though she had slit the cloth to the center so that she could use it as a tree skirt. I decided I would make a holiday-getaway bag from the salvageable remnant. The olive-drab faux waxed canvas I ordered on sale looked really great with the old print. I used Diane Spencer-Ogg's outstanding "Escape Pod Travel Collection" patterns. Pictured below: The holiday themed “Weekend Bag” and "Travel Clutch" in olive-drab faux waxed-duck canvas from Sally Tomato , vintage holiday print exterior and interior, and accents of Mora bordeaux faux leather from Emmaline Bags . Pattern and video tutorial "Escape Pod Travel Collection: Weekend Bag and Travel Clutch" by Diane Spencer-Ogg. Weekend Bag front Weekend Bag bac

Pencil pods

 by Linda Theil I started school in 1953 in Miss Stump's morning kindergarten class at Neville School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was ashamed of my knobby knees, scared of the Bad Chair, and delighted in making silver bells with foil that sealed the pint bottles of our daily milk ration.  Every year my mom bought me a new pencil box to start the school year. I loved my pencil box with its specialized compartments and equipment. Although I never understood the purpose of the colored plastic protractor with its tiny gradations, I delighted in the #2 Eberhard Fabers, Prismacolor pencils, Crayolas, Westcott ruler, Pink Pearl eraser, pencil sharpener, and compass. I was ready for school! That's why I was so happy when the local intermediate school district began their  "Backpacks for Kids" project -- giving Livingston County, MI students backpacks full of school supplies. Robin Schutz of Great Start Livingston said: "LESA staff started this project in 2002 with ju